Closing out 2017…

May 27, 2014
New Orleans, LA
mrhoward.net
As we close out 2017, I wanted to say a few things. I know a few people are upset about being kicked/dropped or whatever. As the leader of the community I have to take some blame. I haven't been able to invest in core members to the capacity needed.

It should have been more about the people instead of overall infrastructure and trying to build on some big grandiose vision. Because at the end of the day, this place is nothing without the people who make up the community.

So for 2018, it will be less about the site and overly ambitious goals. And more about strengthening membership between core members who actually care enough to stick around. This simply means that I will be around more to play with you guys while forming a regular group of members who are around and also salvaging what's left of the group.

Anyways,

Happy 2018! Let's hope for less micro-transactions, paywalls, and bullshit!!

CryHavoc

PC Family
Jan 26, 2015
Happy 2018! Looking at some upcoming games 2018 is looking promising. New Ace Combat since 2013, Monster Hunter World is FINALLY coming to PC. Think I might actually play that. And of course Anthem by Bioware looks sick.

maxgregor

Playstation Family
Jul 25, 2014
Catalonia
Hey, I just wanted to drop by, say hello and wish a happy 2018 for everyone.

I've been (mostly) out from GTA (and PS4 for that matter) since last summer, playing the new Gran Turismo lately and focusing on other things.

Hope everyone is OK, best wishes!!!

poohty_t

Playstation Family
Apr 26, 2015
VA
www.dailymotion.com
As someone who runs another online community ( with much less people ) i can totally understand how hard it is to manage this sort of thing. Also keeping people around who want to be around is a key to any community like this. The time, energy , thought, work, etc that goes into these things can be draining over time. I can totally understand that and respect it as well.

The worst thing is, you yourself Notch , put so much into your site, and trying to set up features that should make people getting together so easy , yet , at times it seems there is always a large majority ( in the gaming community as a whole) that literally cant do it unless you do every thing for them.I've seen this so many times running a madden league for 7 years straight. I totally know how frustrating it can be .You and your admins here do a good job , and it is alot of work i know, so i give you all mad props on it.

I had basically quit playing GTA for quite a while , a while back.Just been playing No Mans Sky , Madden, and Planetside 2 mostly for last few months when i had time to game. So thats why ive not been around alot myself. I have no issues with being removed from crew on GTA , as i said , i totally understand you gotta clean things up sometimes in communities like this. May everyone here have a blessed 2018 !

May 27, 2014
New Orleans, LA
mrhoward.net
As someone who runs another online community ( with much less people ) i can totally understand how hard it is to manage this sort of thing. Also keeping people around who want to be around is a key to any community like this. The time, energy , thought, work, etc that goes into these things can be draining over time. I can totally understand that and respect it as well.

The worst thing is, you yourself Notch , put so much into your site, and trying to set up features that should make people getting together so easy , yet , at times it seems there is always a large majority ( in the gaming community as a whole) that literally cant do it unless you do every thing for them.I've seen this so many times running a madden league for 7 years straight. I totally know how frustrating it can be .You and your admins here do a good job , and it is alot of work i know, so i give you all mad props on it.

I had basically quit playing GTA for quite a while , a while back.Just been playing No Mans Sky , Madden, and Planetside 2 mostly for last few months when i had time to game. So thats why ive not been around alot myself. I have no issues with being removed from crew on GTA , as i said , i totally understand you gotta clean things up sometimes in communities like this. May everyone here have a blessed 2018 !
Thanks for those words. And while cleaning out the crew is a part of it. What I'm changing for this year is something MUCH MORE FUNDAMENTAL. The GTA Purge was done by one of the other admins this time around, who basically just kicked anybody who didn't have VCCM set as active. I think that was fair considering the fact that having a bunch of people who are active in other crews isn't helping the crew much at all. New members come to an empty crew and then leave for greener pastures.

But, what i'm talking about is re-thinking what VICE is on a fundamental level. Having a bloated community of inactive people means jack shit. And forums are a dead platform generally speaking. People have Social Media for instant information. They have plenty of tools to find other games to play with instantly. At what point do gamers need to join a clan anymore? It makes much more sense for me to salvage the remaining members who have been loyal and actively involved take things in a different direction than to keep doing the same shit and expecting different results. And there is nothing left to gain from trying to grow a huge community besides headache and frustration caused long nights up trying to market and grow this place, and ungrateful people who don't really give a fuck about the group and just want to get what they can get from it.

The point i'm trying to make is simple. In order for this community to survive, there has to be a fundamental change in what we are. The entire Idea just needs to be re-thought and that's the hard truth. What we've been trying to do for the last 3 years just isn't working anymore. The gaming culture and climate has shifted. So we are starting by cutting inactivity across EVERYTHING. Discord Servers, The communities on each platforms, even this website. We are down under 400 members on the site now. We had 1400+ before. Which means over 1000 people haven't logged in over a year. They needed to go. POINT BLANK. And I will continue to kick people and cut down members who really aren't interested in staying around until I get an accurate count of members who are actually active and playing a group. And it's not to punish people who aren't playing or whatever. It's simply an action that needs to be taken to better manage and make this place better.

Having maybe 100 people across the groups or even less who are active and playing together is much more valuable than having 2000+ members who don't do shit nor bother to interact at all with us. The @PC Family is ultimately what I want the community as a whole to be like. No more mass recruiting. No more taking anybody who signs up just because they registered. I've given up on the idea of building a huge community and with that burden lifted, I can focus more on the fun aspect and getting people who REALLY WANT TO BE DOWN to group up. The rest can fuck off somewhere.

BatMatt

I miss the touch of BatMatts skin- Numb3rOn3Gun
Executive
Dec 17, 2014
Katy, TX
Basicly what Notch is saying is that recruiting will be more "intimate" procedure now instead of posts on reddit. Seriously though, this year will be better I feel like since we wont be focusing on taking everyone with a pulse.